Author ad

Thursday, May 11, 2023

The Sliding Sharpener

Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord! 

The Sliding Sharpener 

I was lying in bed very late in the evening. Everyone else in the house was fast asleep.  My bed was next to a window to my left. Straight ahead was a closet. To my right was a large wooden bookcase, clothes cabinet and desk combination.  Next to me was a stereo on top of a small cabinet.  

The room was dark except for the faint glow coming off the stereo.  The room was dark, but there was plenty of light to see everything, especially when your eyes had adjusted to it.  I always used the light off the stereo as a makeshift nightlight.  

I was lying there when I heard a scraping sound on top of the wooden desk.  Hearing this sound, any sound, coming from my normally quiet bedroom was unnerving.  I looked over at the desk, and watched my pencil sharpener moving across the desk! 

The desk was made of wood, I elevated it slightly to the back to keep round pencils from rolling off.  So this pencil sharpener was sliding uphill!  The pencil sharpener was of solid steel construction, it was square shape.  I had it as a teenager, but I have never seen one since. It was solid steel and was heavy. 

It was physically impossible for this heavy solid steel pencil sharpener to slide across the wooden desk!  But I laid there and watched it happen!  I didn’t see anything that would cause it to move it. But there it was slowly sliding.  It moved very slowly, but the sound of steel against wood made it seem faster. 

I watched it slowly slide until it reached the edge, then drop down to the shag carpeted floor.  I was paralyzed with fear as I had seen the impossible.  It dropped to the floor and stayed there.  I laid awake for over an hour until I fell asleep out of physical and emotional exhaustion![1]

William James Roop

Roop-Crappell Ministries

Hospice Care and Dying

 The Trucking Tango

 

 

 

 



[1] My own personal experience

No comments:

Post a Comment