Author ad

Monday, April 24, 2023

Johns' and Mary's

 Hello everyone.  Praise the Lord!

I was listening to my mother tell stories a few days ago about our family ancestors.  On her side of the family, a Polish couple with their two small children, immigrated from Poland to New York City, then traveling by train to Chicago.

The funny part of the story, but not to my mother, was the fact that this Polish couple were named John and Mary.  Their son was called John and their daughter was called Mary.  Both the father and son was called John!  Both mother and daughter were both called Mary!

I could just imagine what the immigration authorities in New York City thought of that as they were being processed into the country!  It might have given a few folks a small headache, or at least a laugh or more than a few heads scratched.  


They did have four other children born to them in Chicago, and they did have different names!  That was helpful in our genealogy research.  Some folks would read this and say, "so what."  I can respect that, but I thought it was kind of funny situation that they were in at that particular time.  I always like the little odd things in our complicated world.

William James Roop

Roop-Crappell Ministries

Hospice Care and Dying

The Trucking Tango


No comments:

Post a Comment